Senate Primary in AL: Strange v. Moore

For political topics other than current events / news stories.

Senator Luther Strange or Judge Roy Moore?

Poll ended at Tue Sep 26, 2017 9:26 pm

Senator Luther Strange
100%
Judge Roy Moore
No votes

Total votes: 1

The Gipper
Newly Registered

Senate Primary in AL: Strange v. Moore

Post by The Gipper » Sun Sep 24, 2017 9:24 pm

Senator Luther Strange (appointed to fill the seat opened by Sessions moving to be Trump's AG) is campaigning to win the GOP US Senate nomination in a run-off. The winner will go on to face Democrat Doug Jones in the special election on Dec. 12. Strange was A.G. of Alabama prior to his appointment, and as such fought with the Obama administration in court on several issues. Strange has the endorsement of President Trump, VP Pence, and Senate Majority Leader McConnell, but he came in second in the first round of voting that lead to a run off. Since no candidate reached 50% threshold, a run-off must be held on Tues Sept 26, 2017.

The other candidate in the run-off is Judge Roy Moore - a twice removed State Supreme Court Justice of Alabama and a Vietnam War veteran. He was first removed for refusing to follow a federal ruling to remove the ten commandment monument at the Alabama Supreme Court. After being removed for ethics violations solely relating to his refusal to follow the superior court's ruling, he was elected to the Court again by voters (who largely supported the monument). He was then removed from office again when he ordered the lower courts in Alabama to refuse to issue marriages to same sex couples following the US Supreme Court ruling which legalized gay marriage. Moore's campaign is centered around his social conservative bonafides - but also around labeling Strange as "establishment" and linking him to the failure to pass Obamacare repeal (though he wasn't a Senator that broke ranks) and other congressional failures.

Pundits are giving an advantage to Roy Moore - but Strange is hoping the efforts of the President and VP will tip the scale.

So guys, what think you?

In my opinion, while I'm glad I don't live in Alabama to have to choose this, I think if I were in Alabama I would vote for Strange. If you check out the debate (link, warning > 1hr long) there's no doubt Strange is the better speaker, and has a more clear understanding of most issues. Moore seemed to get frazzled or pause pretty often. But what did it for me was Moore's comment denouncing the rise of sexual perversion and sodomy (his words, not mine) in the nation. As I was listening I had a terrible flash back to Todd Akin - when a 2012 Senate election I was very much involved in went south in my home state of Missouri. Todd Akin made his off the cuff remark about "legitimate rape" and a race where we were polling ahead flipped on its head and McCaskill won by 15 points. I understand some of the hesitancy to support someone endorsed by McConnell at the moment as Obamacare repeal fails. But Strange hasn't broke ranks, and as unpolished and passionately socially conservative as Moore is, there is a very real chance he'll say something that will make the race at least closer than it needs to be in the general. I don't see anything so wrong with Strange it is worth taking the extra risk on Moore.

The Gipper
Newly Registered

Re: Senate Primary in AL: Strange v. Moore

Post by The Gipper » Tue Dec 12, 2017 10:28 pm

Aaaaaannnnnd Moore found a way to lose the damn thing.